Punakha Dzong is placed strategically at the junction of the Pho Chu and Mo Chu rivers, the dzong was built in 1637 by Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal to serve as the religious and administrative seat of the region. It was here that the dual system of government was introduced in the 17th century and in 1907, enthroned the first King Gongsar Ugyen Wangchuck. Damaged over the centuries by four catastrophic fires and an earthquake, the dzong has been fully restored in the recent years by the 4th King Jigme Singye Wangchuck
Meri Puensum, a family run resort in the valleys at Punakha. This resort is supposed to be only two stars but compared to our stay in the city hotel, this was much better in terms of cleanliness and amenities.